iphone connection problems for some users with Exchange 2010
Binary Royale is an IT consultancy company based in the East Midlands. We spend all of our time with clients, helping them to make good decisions about their IT. When we come across issues that would be useful to others we “try” to post the answers on our website – www.binaryroyale.com . We cover Derby and Derbyshire, Nottingham and Nottinghamshire mainly, but do also have clients further afield. Please browse our website to see what we offer – thanks, and enjoy the blog
I had an issue this week where I had installed Exchange 2010, standard setup, onto a server and I was having issues with iphone connectivity.
The thing that really saved me was the use of
I don’t own an iPhone myself and using the above online tool helped me to test the ActiveSync connectivity to the new mailserver, without needing a phone.
Please make sure you have ports 80 and 443 open on your firewall – both Windows Firewall and Hardware Firewall, otherwise traffic will not flow in and out correctly.
First of all, when running through the “ActiveSync (non-autodiscover)” utility, it flagged up the need for an external certificate. This I purchased and installed. See my other post for using a single domain external SSL certificate both internally and externally here
Secondly the tool then started to flag issues with running “CONNECT” statements and gave some error 500’s
Exchange ActiveSync Returned an HTTP 500 Error
An Unsupported Authentication Method was Found
at this point I could start to Google possible resolutions. Interestingly I managed to see that some users connected without any issues, and others caused errors, within the utility. This lead me to look into permissions issues.
The resolution turned out to be extremely simple.
- Open Active Directory Users and Computers
- Turn on Advanced Features in the tools menu
- Locate the user in question
- open their properties (right click – properties)
- Goto the security tab
- Click the Advanced button
- In here TICK the box “inherit permissions fromÂ parent”
This was ticked for users which were working and un-ticked for those who were not. very simple indeed.
Then the online connectivity tool started producing “green” “connected” messages 🙂
Hope this helps