Windows Search not available in Outlook 2010
This post relates to
Windows Server 2008 R2
Outlook 2010My setup is that I have a terminal server running Office 2010, hence why it’s installed on a Windows Server.
During use of Outlook a “Windows Search” is not installed message was showing in the bottom pane, within the client.
This is how to install the Windows Search Service under Windows Server 2008
- Open Server Manager
- Click on Roles
- Click on Add a Role
- Choose the File Server Role
- Click Next
- on the following screen remove the file server service
- click on the Windows Search option
- click next
- You are given the option to turn on INDEXING for your drives – I didn’t select ANY as I only want search for use by Outlook
- Click next
- This will install the Search service
Restart Outlook and as it loads it will re-install some components. This may take a few minutes, then Outlook opens, and away you go.
The search facility working in conjuction with Outlook is excellent. I search through my emails all the time using this kind of built in feature and it’s very quick really.